Monday, January 30, 2012

F***ing Sopa/Pipa/Acta

Sorry bout the F word guys but I just can't help it. If you haven't heard about what SOPA, PIPA, or ACTA are about yet then let me enlighten you.

SOPA - Stop Online Piracy Act
PIPAProtect IP Act
ACTA - Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement

If you haven't noticed yet, some of your frequently visited sites are slowly and one by one shutting down. I don't wanna go into detail about what the said acronyms above are about but they are basically bills that are intended to strengthen protections against copyright infringement and intellectual property theft. I'd say its a violation of human rights and freedom of speech. At first I thought this would all blow over in time, but turns out its all very serious business. I'm no expert in this issue or trying to come off as one but I think its common knowledge that hell would break lose if ever these acts are to be implemented.

Just imagine a world without internet. Well, that's how I imagine it would be if SOPA/PIPA/ACTA ever comes true. There might still be internet to use, but it won't be the same anymore. 

As early as now, some of the sites I go to are already announcing their goodbyes. Picnik and Looklet for example. I was shell shocked to learn that these kinds of sites are also affected by this bs.

Well, if you wanna learn more about this issue then just search the net about if for more info. While you still can -.-

* Sorry if there's any spelling or grammar mistakes you might find in this post, kinda made it in a rush*

No comments:

Post a Comment